Friday, April 23, 2010

Guru Rest In Power


My sincerest condolences go out to Guru's family and friends.

I can't recall the number of hours since around age 16 (I'm now in my late-twenties), I spent listening to, bugging out to, being in awe of Gang Starr and both their and Guru's Jazzmatazz releases. I remember when I was hanging out the front of the Basement in Sydney after DJ Premier's solo show and all I could say to Guru, is "I am a big fan of your music". Star struck - definitely.

I am going to throw a couple of links to some posts, sets from journalists, scribes, DJ's that everyone pretty knows and respects, reading these posts - these folk put together words and mixes about who Guru was, his life's story and what Guru and Gang Starr meant to them and the Hip Hop community, music fiends worldwide, as the down by law peeps that they are, better than I ever could.

Size 13

Official statement from DJ Premier on the death of Guru

Keith "Guru" Elam tribute mix by DJ Premier

New York Times rememberance

Mister Cee's Guru tribute mix on Hot 97

CRDS's Jaz remembers Guru

Matthew Africa's - Best of Gang Starr mix

Words from Cosmo Baker on the loss of Guru and what Guru and Gang Starr represented to him.

Words from Ely Eskobar on the profound influence of Guru, Gang Starr on him and the atmosphere in New York when the "Moment of Truth" album went gold here...

No comments: